After making my Book of Spells I decided to “spookify” a few other things, including LooHoo’s empty soft drink can. This was a lot of fun and all the supplies I had on hand. I hope you like it!
1 empty soft drink can
A small piece of burlap
Pepper (ha! Didn’t expect that one, huh?)
A foam sheet
Hot glue gun
- Clean the inside of the can and dry. This doesn’t seem like a big deal until you wake up some morning and find a bunch of ants in your house… so if you don’t clean out the can, don’t go blaming me for that!
- Glue the burlap onto the can using your favourite adhesive, I used hot glue. Don’t, I repeat, DO NOT make it perfect. That’s what makes this project so cool and interesting. On my first attempt, I did not put the burlap high enough so I ended up adding a strip to the top, you can see this below in Image 3..
- I added several rows of foam sheets to the top and the bottom of the can.
- Next I painted the top of the can with gray acrylic paint. Actually, if you want to know the truth, and you probably do, I used white acrylic paint with a drop of black.
- Now, I already had it in my head that I wanted this to look kind of creepy so I decided that I needed to add some pepper to the top of my can.
- Finally, I added some thumbtacks because, well, it needed it.
- With this project, like so many of my others, I used a little bottle of that craft paint that you find at the dollar store, Walmart, wherever. I painted the entire can black and let it dry. Then I took some of the leftover gray paint that I made and dry brushed.
- I also wanted the can to look a little messy so I added hot glue to the top and let it drip down the sides.
- I then painted the hot glue with about three different shades of glitter nail polish until I got the look I wanted.
Alrighty, that wasn’t so bad was it? The main thing with this project is to have fun! You will be amazed at how good your can looks once it is painted.