I made this hat for my helpful husband last year for Halloween. He was a lumberjack and looked great except you could tell he had a splitting headache. ? We marched in a local parade and gave out candy and he was a huge hit!
This hat is so easy to make and inexpensive, too. Out of five stars I think you will agree it deserves ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️!
1 Baseball cap (adjustable)
1 Knit cap
Plastic, toy ax
Bowl or wig head
Preparing the baseball cap
- Adjust the baseball cap to where it fits snugly on your head and remove the cap. (Image 1)
- Hot glue the adjustable band so that the cap remains the same size that it was on your head.
- Cut the bill off the cap. (Image 2 and 3)
Preparing the knit cap
- Tuck the baseball cap under the knit cap so that it can’t be seen. (Image 4)
- Cut a line where you want the ax blade to be added. (Image 5)
- Starting at the top of the knit cap, glue the caps together along the lines shown in Image 6.
WARNING!!! You’re gonna burn the crap out of your fingers if you’re not careful!
The hot glue will seep through that knit cap like crazy. To avoid burning the crap out of your fingers do the following:
- Run a bead of hot glue on the baseball cap and under the knit cap.
- Using a butter knife, tap the knit cap down until the glue cools.
- The glue can be peeled off the butter knife after you’re finished gluing the caps together. You’re welcome.
Readying the ax
- Cut the ax blade where you want it to stick into the cap. (Image 7)
- Wad and stuff the newspaper into the blade of the ax.
- Place the cap on the wig head or on a bowl so that it maintains the shape of your head.
- Apply a LOT of hot glue to the ax blade and newspaper and hold the ax in place until the glue is completely cool. (Image 8)
Apply red paint for blood.
That’s it… pretty easy, huh?
Click on the pictures below to get a closer look.