I’m glad you stumbled on to this page, let’s talk adhesives. It seems like a lot of people, and by people I mean crafters, find one glue that they love and use it on everything. I’m talking about E6000. There are folks out there that would use it to put their arm back on if they sawed it off, they are that devoted to the stuff. Don’t get me wrong, I like it, but people there are options and believe it or not, some of those options are better!!!
For jewelry, I use E6000. It works great. However, for adhering glass to glass, I beg you, please… try clear silicone sealant.
- It is 100% water AND weatherproof. It is made to be exposed to water.
- By far you save a ton of money since it is a LOT cheaper.
- The fumes aren’t as bad as E6000, I am told.
- It comes in a caulking tube like you see here OR a smaller tube like E6000 for smaller jobs.
- You can buy it at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, lots of places.
- There’s no one particular brand that is best, it’s all good!
- It won’t dry out and crack.
- Since it is pliable you can actually separate two items that you have used it on. (If you cut yourself you’re on your own, I never said this, we don’t know each other!!!)
- It won’t yellow over time due to weather or age.
And a bunch more reasons I am sure that I will add later.
Up cycled Birdbath
I used silicone sealant to put this up cycled birdbath together. It consists of saucers, vases, gems, acrylic paint (inside the vases) and a light cover for the bowl.
The light cover DOES have a hole in the center. I used a generous amount of silicone sealant and added a large glass gem on top of the hole to cover it. It held water for five summers until someone, who shall remain nameless, hit it with the lawnmower. Yes, it’s that good.
But what about the other glass gems? I used clear silicone sealant on ALL of it. Period. Pay attention!
If you have any questions I will be happy to address them. Oh, and no, no one is paying me to say this and no one is holding a gun to my head or my family. When I find a product that I love I want to share it with the people around me.
Let me know what you think!